Sunday, October 5, 2008

mission bay triathlon race results

sprint distance:
500m swim
15K bike
5K run



my time = 1:29:03

1160 out of 1458
(overall)
35 out of 38 (class- clydesdale)


split ranking:

swim #677 = 10:28

t1 = 3:53

bike #1120 = 38:17

t2 = 1:54

run #1315 = 34:32


well the results were a humbling experience. i gave it 110%. the split times will be posted by Wednesday so i can see how i did in each discipline.

the swim went decent for me. i always considered myself a pretty good swimmer, but the open water was a different story even though i had made it to the bay a few weeks ago to practice. it was hard for me to use my typical swim stroke since i had to keep lifting my head to get air. i know this slowed me down, but i was passing quite a few people during the swim.

T1 i felt was too slow. i had a few bites of banana and it was a mistake. i didn't need more food in me and it made it harder to catch my breath. also taking the salt pill took too much time. i used nuun in my sports bottle on the bike and that is enough for this distance.

The bike wasn't too bad. i struggled at first with my pedal clips. the course was mostly flat which was so nice for me after having to train in these hills for months. my class, clydesdale, went out with the military class. i had met one of the competitors before the race in the transition area and i just stayed behind him most of the ride to let him set the pace. then the last 2 miles of the bike ride i kicked it up and left him behind. he had told me that he had run a marathon and being competitive i wanted to get as big a lead as i could before the run.

T2 went a lot faster then T1. it was hard to start the run because my group was one of the last to go out on the gun and everyone that finished was in the way. once i got out a bit i slowed my pace down and ran my race. about a quarter mile past the mile marker my military friend passed me. i knew i couldn't keep his pace until the end and have enough to kick a sprint to beat him. so i rooted him on and tried to stay in my race. a quarter mile after the 2 mile mark i saw a big guy in better shape then me closing in on my distance. he passed me on the bridge with a little over half a mile left. i tried to stay close to him so i could sprint past him at the end, but i fell too far off pace. after i passed the finish line another clydesdale came up to me and told me he was chasing me the same way on the bridge, but couldn't keep up. he said i had "too much in the tank" thank you crossfit.

i am really motivated now since i struggled compared to everyone else in my class. i am going to look at the mid-pack times and try to train even harder to get up to that pace by the spring. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

3 comments:

Brad said...

GREAT JOB!!!

the get in shape dude said...

thanks brad! i really appreciate all the support.

The Get in Shape Mom said...

You did a great job on the tri Ted